WARNING TO OUR ADVERTISERS
Please protect yourself from the following SCAM
Two of our advertisers have informed us that they were subjected to the fraud attempt described below. This is most likely to occur if you have a large
item for sale or if you are selling a large lot of books.
There are probably other variations of this scheme.
- Someone (perhaps from another country) notifies you they are interested in purchasing from you and negotiate a price (say, $2,000 plus shipping of $500).
- They offer to send you a check (maybe by FedEX) for the full amount ($2500), but they indicate their shipping agent requires payment immediately.
- They tell you to send (by FedEx or Western Union) $500 to the shipping agent USING YOUR OWN FUNDS.
- You get their check for $2500, and, thinking the check is legitimate, you wire the $500 to the shipping agent.
- Of course, their $2500 check bounces, but by the time you realize this, your $500 is gone.
BE SURE TO PROTECT YOURSELF - make certain any check you receive is valid, and avoid sending any money to
a shipping agent (if a buyer can send money to you, he can also send it to a shipping agent)..